Sunday, August 14, 2011

What I'm Reading, What I Just Bought

Let's see... I am currently in the middle of 4 books:

  • Dragons of the Highlord Skies- Book 2 in the Dragonlance Lost Chronicles.  Enjoyable.  Makes me a little teary-eyed for the early nineties when I was first introduced to Tanis, Sturm, Kitiara and the rest of the Dragonlance characters
  • Storm Dragon- Book 1 of the Draconic Prophecies.  A little slow, but I've enjoyed most Eberron stuff I've read.
  • Key of Stars- Book 3 of the Abolethic Soverignty.  I'll be honest, a little disappointed with all of the post-Spellplague books
  • Black Train by Edward Lee
Three of these are Dungeons and Dragons/Wizard of the Coast series.  I haven;t played table top or card games in years, but I still love my fantasy.  The fourth is a horror novel- I'm trying to expand my horror reading, as indicated by what I recently purchased.

And what did I just buy:
  • Song of Kali by Simmons
  • Traveling Vampire Show by Laymon
  • Flesh Gothic by Lee
  • From hell With Love-  I love everything Simon Green does.  He is so over the top.  And His Secret Histories novels starring Edward Drood is no different.  
So leave me your opinions on any of these books.  Always looking to hear from fellow horror/D and D fans

3 comments:

  1. I love Dan Simmons' horror novels -- with my favorite being Summer of Night. I haven't read Song Of Kali yet, so I'll be interested to see what you think.

    I'm really commenting, though, because you mentioned The Traveling Vampire Show. This is a book that I remember as the worst waste-of-a-great-title I've ever seen. (I read it years ago, though, so my recall of the writing is sketchy.) All that lingers is my impression that it could have been so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had read mixed reviews... some people loved it, others hated it. Seems that many of the "modern" horror writers (Laymon, Lee, Bentley) are love them or hate them authors. Haven't read much by any of them, only Night in the Lonesome October by Laymon (very mixed feelings on this one), though I am currently reading Black Train by Lee. But what I've noticed that the only similar themes between these books is that homosexual sex plays an important role in the story. Very bizarre, I know "new" horror does focus on matters of sexuality, but does this have to be a central theme and focus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to like dragons. I just finished The 19th Dragon. It's a steam punk novella - a genre I've just recently discovered - but the story was odd. Yes, odd is the best word. I still don't know what I think of it. My reading group chose it for our current read so I hope the discussion will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete